The Springtime Wind —A Translation

February 7, 2017

Poems, Translation

sprinw_1

Basanti Hawa, or the ‘Springtime Wind’, was the first Hindi poem I fell in love with, early in my childhood. It is written by Kedarnath Agarwal, a much-awarded doyen of Hindi Literature. The poem captures the freshness, fullness and the very essence of the springtime wind with a rare joy and breathlessness, rendering it nearly impossible to translate into an alternate language. Ever since I have read it, I have been trying and failing to transmute this beautiful poem to English. It is not so much finding a substitute diction for a poem written with a rare felicity and simplicity as the variant phraseology of the two tongues that makes it nearly impossible to reproduce the power one feels while reading the original. Nevertheless, this is the closest I can get as I toil once more.

The Springtime Wind

The wind, I am the wind,
I am the springtime wind.

Listen to me murmuring—
I am a peerless thing.

Wild in my ways, I blow,
whirling on a blithe soul,
no worries I have known,
fears I have really none;
coached in my fancies,
I wander about as I wish,
Ever the fickle gypsy.

I come from no homestead,
no missions I have or seek,
I long not for any one,
and hope not for one atom,
not a lover, nor an enemy;
I wander about as I wish,
Ever the fickle gypsy.

The wind, I am the wind,
I am the springtime wind.

Wherever I set forth
to wherever I barged in—
towns, boroughs, hamlets,
river, sand and deserts,
green fields, the fishponds—
I set them a-swaying,
I set them a-swinging.

The wind, I am the wind,
I am the springtime wind.

Leaping into the honey tree
I tappity-tapped the boughs,
crashing with a thud whence
I scurried up the mango
and shook it out crazily,
with a trill in the ear,
I ran down and scampered,
found my way to lush fields
to ripple with the wheat-sheaves,
for the forenoon
and afternoon,
right till the sun mellowed,
I whiled away in awns alone.

Finding the flax crop
crowned well with fresh tops,
I fancied a little trick
and quaked and quivered it
but it didn’t lose one petal;
foiled in my ventures,
I didn’t rock the mustard,
I didn’t shock the mustard.

The wind, I am the wind,
I am the springtime wind.

Blushing deep at my sight
the pigeon-pea looked down,
It’s ever tough to sooth her:
she never comes around,
I didn’t let it be though—
a traveller was passing by
I shoved her on his shoulder,
I laughed with a cackle
and the cardinals crackled,
the green crops guffawed,
the farmlands heehawed,
the sweet gleaming sunlight
giggled like a socialite,
the whole world chortled,
with the gust of Spring.

The wind, I am the wind,
I am the springtime wind.

*                 *                   *                   *

बसंती हवा में
हँसी सृष्टि सारी!

हवा हूँ, हवा मैं
बसंती हवा हूँ!

~केदारनाथ अग्रवाल

, , ,

50 Comments on “The Springtime Wind —A Translation”

1. Maniparna Sengupta Majumder Says:

I would say, you’ve done justice to the poem in your translation. I loved the pace and rhyming of your poem even before reading the original one… 🙂

2. ilakshee Says:

Reading the introduction, the poet’s name did not ring a bell. Began with the first line and the next, then the first verse…Suddenly tumbling down from a closet, the words spilled out… Hawa Hun hawa, main basanti hawa Hun…A poem I’d found in the fresh new Hindi textbook brought along with the others, waiting to be covered in brown paper. All I can say is, thank you 🙂

I am happy for triggering that train of memories, Ilkashee. I too remember the new Hindi textbook where I found this beauty, and the brown paper that must jacket its cover. Thanks to you, too! 🙂

3. JerseyLil Says:

Such an exquisitely beautiful poem, I can see why you love it, Umashankar! The words come alive and flow seamlessly like a feather swaying in the breeze. I can feel the spring wind in all its expressions. Thank you so much for translating this rare treasure for us!

Madilyn, I swear I have botched it! Every time I read my translation, I feel like tweaking a thought here and an expression there, and it has gone on for decades. I fervently hope I have managed to convey a fair fraction of the breathless abandon with which the poem has been written by the original poet.

Vaguely remember reading the Hindi poem, but a pleasure to read it again. Reads as fresh as fragrant and as soothing as ever.

5. rajnisinha Says:

Basanti hawaa is one poem which we have all learnt by heart in school —-and your translation is absolutely superb it has caught the essence of the poem —thanks a lot

6. Durga Prasad Dash Says:

Enjoyed reading both versions of the poem. Wonderful.

7. Sandra Says:

I cannot comment on the original of course, but I love your translation. Beautiful!

8. The Hook Says:

Close enough.
    Well done.

9. hilarycustancegreen Says:

Even in translation, it was an uplifting, energising poem. Thank you.

10. T F Carthick Says:

Your rendition in English was beautiful. The original – I need to concentrate hard to comprehend given my proficiency in the language. But I am sure it would have been delightful.

I think the translation is delightful, although I can’t exactly vouch for its accuracy! It stands on its own anyway. I guess there’s a fine line between translating a poem and “capturing it”.

The only word I don’t like is “draught” – I associated it with something that comes in under the door or a beer that one drinks! I’m not sure if in the original there is a slightly negative inference in the phrase बसंती हवा हूँ। or not.

Congratulations on providing us with these translations – and for making such poetry accessible to us mono-linguistic oafs!

It is not that I am not aware of the slightly negative connotation that the word ‘draught’ carries. If I were to transliterate it, I would just say ‘I am the springtime wind’ (Line 2). In one of my versions I had used ‘breath’ instead of ‘draught’. I am still open to the idea of modifying the line. What do you say, Bruce?

• Bruce Goodman Says:

It’s difficult to explain what I mean without seeing me waving my arms in the air like the wind! To be honest I like the simple “I am the springtime wind” the best – simply because of the sound and rhythm of the refrain: “The wind, I am the wind, I am the springtime wind.” It’s building up. It’s blustery. It’s a couplet that I’d be happy to shout out in a breeze at the top of a hill!

Breath I think personally is preferable to draught. What about “gust”? The whole poem anyway, as you already have it, reeks of a this-way-and-that reckless springtime movement.

12. ladyfi Says:

What a lovely poem.

13. subroto Says:

बहुत खूब उमा अच्छा अनुवाद है । सच्चे कवी के भाव से लिखा है
    अग्रवाल साहिब ने ‘बसंती हवा’ में जैसे वह हवा न हो, एक उछलती-कूदती गंवई लड़की हो । वोही उल्लास आप के अनुवाद मे आया है |

सुब्रतो साहेब, कई सालों से इस कविता का अनुवाद कर रहा हूँ पर कभी पूर्ण संतोष नहीं मिल पाया। आपने सच कहा, बसंती हवा का अल्हड़पन हिंदी कविता में कूट कूट कर भरा हुआ है। शायद वो अनुभूति अंग्रेजी रूपांतरण में संभव नहीं है। कम से कम मैं तो न कर पाउँगा। मेरा उत्साह बढ़ाने के लिए धन्यवाद !

14. Samir Shyam Says:

I am spellbound, too good to comment. You have beautifully captured the rhyme, rhythm and essence of the original version while creating the lovely piece of work in itself. Hats off my dear friend.

15. Ginene Nagel Says:

In the U.S.A., the wind coming under the door and the beer is spelled draft so I looked up draught and was glad to learn of this alternate spelling. The poem “I Am the Wind” written in English is absolutely delightful. I hear the movement and love the mischievous nature of the spring wind. I quite enjoyed reading and re-reading it. Thank you for bringing this to us.
    Ginene

Ginene, I am aware of the American spelling of ‘draught’. Apart from the wind rushing in through the crevices and slivers of doorways and window panes, and the yellow froth, ‘draft’ also connotes something unfinished, half done. So the odds were stacked against ‘draught’, or draft, and when Bruce remarked against it, I was impelled to replace it with something I already had in my mind: I am the springtime wind.

Hope you approve. 🙂

• Ginene Nagel Says:

Oh, I sure do. You spelled the word correctly, of course. The translator gets to choose the words. I like to learn the difference is English spellings. It is interesting. My sister is constantly correcting my spelling of blonde. She says it is blond, not blonde. Unfortunately, as time goes on, my hair color is changing and I am going to have very little reason to use the word!

Now that you rake up the kerfuffle of differences in spellings! I have grown up reading, writing and internalising British English —Queen’s English, to be precise— and all my favourite writers had hailed from several centuries of England, till I met Ernest Hemingway whom I considered an aberration initially. Then came the computers with US Keyboards with that enfant terrible called Microsoft Word, hurling my spellings into a permanent state of snafu. Now if I change the default language to British for the relative peace of mind while writing, it takes me a while figuring out why my passwords are not working. And when I reset the language to US English, an avalanche of red curly lines hits me in the face.

Now I do not intend to allege a superiority of British English over the American or vice versa. What I cannot stand is a bastardised version of the two. So I try and stick to one language, one that I have been conditioned to use since childhood.

16. Alok Singhal Says:

You’ve not done bad at all, the flow of words is smooth!

17. dNambiar Says:

What beautiful imagery! I’m sure you’ve done justice to Basanti Hawa. 🙂

Very nice poem. Have a vague memory.. think it was there is the school book.

19. रजनी की रचनायें Says:

आपने बहुत अच्छा कोशिश किया है। पढकर बहुत ही अच्छा लगा।

20. Renee Espriu Says:

I can see why you liked this. Thank you for the translation.

21. dishwaryamil Says:

Beautiful translation

22. kokilagupta Says:

Your translation has captured the rustic essence of the original poem and the almost brazen attitude of the carefree unabashed wind!
    Applause.