A Byte of Moonshine

July 10, 2016

Poems, Such is Life

steve_hanks_1.jpg

Painting by Steve Hanks

Sharpen now a crescent for the rite of moonshine,
Bullets will not halt the flight of moonshine.

Clouds germinate on the zephyrs from wet hills,
The heart leaps windward with the kite of moonshine.

I count my blessings over the timeline of Facebook
Waiting in the tunnels for a byte of moonshine.

You have dug out ghosts from the debris of centuries;
The upper crust of yore lose the right of moonshine.

The blanket of venom has enshrouded the firmament;
A black sun has risen since the night of moonshine.

Tar black are tears that she shed on my kismet,
Fortunes of my foes kiss the white of moonshine.

Uma, those who cabaret in the blinding noon of life
Forbid me to step out in the light of moonshine.

37 Comments on “A Byte of Moonshine”

1. Cynthia Jobin Says:

What a glorious ghazal!!! Every couplet is a work of art. I salute you as I take pure delight in your rite of moonshine!

2. matheikal Says:

Wah! Ustad, wah!

There’s so much depth of feeling and meaning in your writings and in this one especially.

3. T F Carthick Says:

Beautiful. Could totally relate to this one.

I’m glad you passed by those who cabaret in the blinding noon, and you were able to dance in the moonshine. I too would try a ghazal if you and Cynthia hadn’t set the bar so high.

5. Alok Singhal Says:

So much depth in these beautiful words, lovely!

6. Anupam Says:

Ahh Umaji. Your Ghazal serenades in the most memorable ways.
    Exquisite is the word.

7. Maniparna Sengupta Majumder Says:

It’s beautiful. The depth and poignancy of words are mind-blowing…

8. ilakshee Says:

Drawn as I am by the sound of your verses, this minion is hoping that her interpretation of is in consonance with that of the creator. I am led by the terms like Facebook and Byte to infer that this is about the battles we wage on the virtual space. Do correct me if I am wrong.

Let me put it like this: I am in consonance with my patrons like you. Facebook is but a manifestation of the thought process symbolising a cultural shift to nada of which the urge to post statuses and selfies are the most common symptoms. The second verse clearly belongs to the affliction affecting our lives on multiple levels. The urge to blog, Shadows of casteism, communalism, misfortune in love and parochialism colour and suffuse other couplets.

There’s truly magic in here ! Beautiful Uma !

10. rajnisinha Says:

those who cabaret in the blinding noon of life
    Forbid me to step out in the light of moonshine.

that says so much Umashankarji –

11. Durga Prasad Dash Says:

After reading your poem, feeling like taking a Bite of the moonshine. Nice poem.

12. Sabyasachi Patra Says:

Your poem can some day become real given the stupidity of the human race.

13. Asha Seth Says:

Such an amazing weaving of words and sentiments. Inspired. 🙂

14. raju070 Says:

Your mastery with words is unparalleled. And there is such magic in your poetry. Lovely piece.

15. naddy Says:

So good to see your blog back, your posts are always touched my heart.

I hope you keep writing and keep the magic on 🙂

16. naddy Says:

Sir, will you please share the link to your short stories for which you have won the award..