Gap-toothed Smile

June 3, 2012

Poems

The Syrian Painter by Dareen Director

In the recesses of the gap-toothed smile
my tears are black.
Pallid stars in the inky blue
of a dying sky.

A fly on the windshield of bliss
wriggling in vacuum,
Hanging still through swerves and sweeps
of a listless drive.

Burn it on a pile of logs
when my face freezes in a grin,
lest like festering ambitions
the grief runs rife.

Knead the joy with mud
and cinders from the ash,
but watch those fingers, my friend,
my tears are black.

________________________

74 Comments on “Gap-toothed Smile”

1. bhavana Says:

Almost Rumiesque…USP. I cannot comment for my words will take away the beauty of yours…so let there be silence as I allow yours to engulf my senses…

Bhavana, I am but a flickering candle to the light of the sun that you talk of. Yet, I feel proud to have earned that compliment. May God bless you!

2. Latha Says:

Do you really have a gap toothed smile? JK…:) Learnt the word ‘pallid’. Loved the ‘festering ambitions’.

3. debajyoti Says:

no one can write like you Uma. i don’t call you the best writer in the blogsphere for nothing. a standing applause.

4. suranga date (@ugich) Says:

The latest model Bliss,
    windshielded
    and sunshielded
    in twin layers.

He wriggles
    ceaselessly
    within,
    sometimes with purpose
    and sometimes
    in anger,
    but legs sensibly anchored
    in the vacuum of thoughts
    through
    the Screeches
    and Brakings.

Quick button squirts of water,
    streaking by on the glass,
    and he dips a toe
    to gauge the flow
    and lets himself go,
    free,
    hopeful,
    and grinning away,
    joy squirting out
    through the
    Gap in the Smile.

No pallid stars,
    no dying skies,
    and
    a collapsing pile of
    unburnt life logs
    convicted of misleading the mud.

He flutters out
    free
    in mind and body,
    the eyes full with giltedged tears…

Black ?
    That was
    just
    about
    the latest
    lachrymal brand sunglasses
    worn in the last harsh summer…

A startling sunshine melody that blows the darkness, grief and every thing black to smithreens! I feel blessed to have written a prequel to this exqusite poem.

• suranga date (@ugich) Says:

It bothers the hell out of me when someone I have met writes a piece with heavy macabre overtones replete with dark nights, logs,cinders ,ashes, and black tears. I read your fantastic poem several times to understand and each time the same feeling was transmitted. My poem is a piece of advice from an old lady who has possibly seen it all …..and yes,….. am delighted about the smithereens !!

• Latha Says:

Suranga, I am awed at the speed you weave your poetic replies..were you an English teacher/lecturer by any chance? ๐Ÿ™‚

• suranga date (@ugich) Says:

Latha, thank you for the kind words. And no, I have never been a teacher of English , ever, in my life. Just a boring IT person. But I have written English and Marathi poetry as a child, and now enjoy blogging, have my own prose, poetry , and medical (!) blogs. Sometimes , one can say things in poetry, better than in prose. USP’s posts are so awesome, that it takes a while for it all to sink in. And even the prose posts are like poetry, hence my replies, again, in poetry !

• Latha Says:

That’s a gift then..:)

Suranga, that is as breathtaking a compliment as you are a poetess!

5. Amit Agarwal Says:

…par excellence! Congrats, Uma, and thank you!

6. Alkagurha Says:

Speechless…….brilliant once again.

7. debak47 Says:

Wonderfully well written!!!

8. Deepak Karthik Says:

Awesome words, well arranged ๐Ÿ™‚

9. Rachna Parmar Says:

Wow, it should be in textbooks so kids can learn how such few words can convey so much.

very well written. I am not a very poetic kind of person but still I enjoyed reading it ๐Ÿ™‚

11. sudhagee Says:

” … my tears are black”

This line reminds me of “Tumhari Amrita”. Lovely.

12. Akshay Kumar G Says:

Sir, I am not sure whether I understood the essence of the poem in totality but it is always such a pleasure and a privilege to read your poems. They are in a completely different league. How I wish I could write like you.

13. Bikramjit Singh Mann Says:

Oh my .. wish i was a poet too .. but then at lest coming here I learnt a few new words that I dont think I have even read or heard ..
    you learn something new every day ๐Ÿ™‚

tears are black.. right

14. Giribala Says:

Well written! But too dark ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

15. neha (@nehask) Says:

Exquisite piece of poetry. Loved it!! ๐Ÿ™‚

16. manju Says:

So grim- your words pierce the heart. Superb wordsmith you certainly are!

17. magiceye Says:

Contradictions abound and thrive for the living.
    Wow the thoughts just hit so often with your powerful words!

18. panchali2 Says:

my first time here…and this is a ravishingly beautiful piece…conveys emotions with stunning accuracy, Uma Shankar..! Immaculate…

19. shimmeshine Says:

Not so much into poetry……but the way you conveyed the emotions, left me blank for a while. I was lost in my own world, thinking and rethinking those words, until I got the essence ๐Ÿ™‚
    Beautiful……..

20. d.Nambiar Says:

Very profound. I’m sure these lines are also just the ‘tip of the iceberg’ (that was a good Hemingway quote that you tweeted out. :))

21. Mak Says:

“The grief runs rife”…took me a lot of time to understand the essence of this poem Sir. Indeed a masterpiece.

22. JayadevM Says:

Hi USP

Wonderful use of words – some of the phrases are exquisite; but I have not been able to discern the images you wished to convey through those lines. Am not good at interpreting poetry. But I love the medium and you use it well.

JM, through the contradicting emotions of life, I’d rather choose the one that has been overwhelmingly mine. And lest some of the pain rub off on the reader, he should be on guard.

Many thanks for appreciating my words.

23. Mani Kumar Says:

Superb! I wish I could write like you someday. ๐Ÿ™‚

Amazingly dark imagery you have managed to create. Don’t exactly understand exactly what the poem is about. But Poetry is more about emotion than understanding. I got the overall dark mood and guess that is all that matters.

25. Zephyr Says:

Sorry to be here so late, but this one is too beautiful for words, pun intended. Black tears? I am there with Suranga when she says that it pierces the heart when someone close to you talks of them. And her poem indeed added that spark to make the black glisten with joy. ๐Ÿ™‚

Blessed are those who have a shoulder to lean on. Yet, often people are alone in agony, certainly so in death. Many thanks for appreciation and your concern.

26. Sheldon Coelho Says:

Agree with TF. Very dark tones used here; nevertheless, portrayed beautifully.

Thank you, SC. Today itself I read about ‘Joseph Stalin’s deadly railway to nowhere’ by Lucy ash at BBC News. Do read it. And that was not the only grim thing to have happened. There are many dark tones in the world indeed, darker beyond imagination at times.

27. Rohiensis Says:

what an unforgettable masterpiece!!

28. kavitasaharia Says:

Speechless.

29. raju070 Says:

Simply brilliant. I have to find new adjectives for your writing genius. Such richness of both vocabulary and thought! Every post of yours is a privilege to read.

30. Anilkumar Kurup Says:

Strange are the ways you seem to play with words to weave!

31. Saurabh Chawla Says:

Amazingly brilliant piece of writing….!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. SOME AWARDS, SOME TAGS, AND A BIG THANK YOU TO YOU ALL!!! - August 30, 2012

[…] Ramakanth – searching for the link The fool – The girl on the train Uma – Gap-toothed Smile and The Sour Flute Zephyr – Feminism and Gen X […]